Friday, February 24, 2012

DVR- Rules of Engagement

Admittedly, I love television.  I enjoy a good story.  Even more so, I love simply relaxing on the couch.  Call me lazy, but its the truth.  I know I should go exercise or read a book or something else that is more productive, but I just don't want to.  It's my guilty pleasure.

We lead a pretty busy life at our house so the times that we actually get to sit and watch television are very few and far between.  As a result, Our DVR is totally backed up and verging on too full.    Now that I have found myself with a week and a half without a wife or a baby to take care of, I have a lot of time to watch TV and catch up.  So here is my dilemma.

Which shows am I allowed to watch without Breanne?  We have a few shows that I know I can watch by myself but there are a few that are considered "our shows" that we watch together and I know I'd be in huge trouble if I watched them without her.  I feel the need to categorize them as to help me decide what is fair game to fill my time with and what is off limits.

So here is a sneak peak into our DVR.  Don't make fun of my show selections either!  I know there are several really interesting shows that have recently started but I just can't make time for them.  Should you feel the need to make recommendations, keep in mind that I don't have cable.

My shows- shows that I feel safe to watch without Breanne
1. The Office- I only have watched 2 episodes of this season so far.  It's just not the same without Michael Scott.  So I have a lot of catching up to do on this one.
2. Survivor- I haven't watched survivor in years and randomly decided to check it out since it was just starting. 
3. Private Practice- I'm so embarrassed.  I got hooked years ago when they did a Grey's Anatomy crossover show.  Try not to judge me too harshly.
4. How I Met Your Mother- I record it in syndication and new episodes.  The syndication episodes are safe.  New ones... not so much.
5. Big Bang Theory- Also recording in syndication.  Stinking hilarious.  She likes this show too, but I don't she minds if I watch it without her.

Her shows- shows that she records that I have no desire to watch. 
1. Rachael Ray- I think we have approximately 77 episodes of Rachael Ray on our DVR.  Breanne just doesn't have time to watch them anymore.  She is in definite danger of getting about 52 episodes erased to make room.

Our shows that I might be able to watch- Shows that we typically watch together, however we are so far behind on them that I don't think we will ever catch up.  Therefore, if I watched them without her it wouldn't be the end of the world. 
1. The Voice- Fun singing show.  They are still in the audition phase so there is nothing to crazy going on right now anyway.  I just like that it is different.  We typically put his on while doing other work on couch at the same time.  I don't think she would mind too much.
2. Grey's Anatomy-  Episodes from last season are still on our DVR.  Catching up together is hopeless so I think it's fair game.  Again.... I am so embarrassed.
3. Glee- I used to really like Glee a lot, but it has gone super down hill as of late.  Therefore, 6 episodes have piled up on the DVR.  It's one of those that I feel obligated to watch because I have seen so much of it so far, but it's becoming a little too much for me.  And horribly unrealistic.  I hope kids don't think this is an accurate portrayal of high school life.  Just stick with the songs.  That's what I like anyway.

Our shows that I am forbidden to watch without her- I know that if I were to watch these shows without her, I would be in big trouble!
1. New Girl- One of the funniest shows on television right now.  She would be soooo mad if I watched without her!
2. Smash- We are only one episode into this show so far, but it was good. I can wait.
3. Up All Night- Again, it has piled up on the DVR but we started watching this show together from the very beginning so I feel obligated to wait for her return to catch up. 

Julia's Shows- no danger of me watching this. 
1. Sesame Street- I love Elmo and all, but its been nice to have a week of from him and his Muppet friends.

On a Side note, I've set my DVR to record the new show Awake that starts next week.  It looks really interesting.  I'm anticipating it being filed under the "My show" category.


Did I miss anything honey?  Let me know now so I know which ones to act surprised about when we finally get around to watching them.  :)



1 comment:

  1. You should get paid for this type of documentary! I got an important looking envelope in the mail from Nielsen ratings a few weeks ago. It looked interesting so I opened it up and out fell three crisp dollar bills. It was a quick questionnaire asking what shows I like to watch and a few personal questions. I figured they sent me 3 bucks, I could respond and I mailed it back. Then a few days ago I got another envelope from Nielsen. I admit, I was excited to see what was in it. I opened it up and out fell a crisp 20 and 10. Nice.
    They asked I fill our a TV diary for a week and record exactly what I watch. I am now on day two and it is kind of fun. My TV list is oddly similar to yours. Just remove Survivor and throw in NOVA and Psych.
    ~BTW This is Randy Johnson, you would not get that from my username.

    ReplyDelete